House Bill 2504 Spring 2011 Course Syllabus HECO-1322-01 (Principles Nutrition)
Spring 2011 Course Syllabus
HECO-1322-01 (Principles Nutrition)
|Instructor||Dupuis, Glenda McGill|
|Course ID #||10452|
|Course Title||Principles Nutrition|
|Course Description||A study of the basic principles of nutrition in health and disease.|
|Course Prerequisites||Basic skills competency in reading and math required.|
|Required Textbooks||Nutrition and Diet Therapy, DeBruyne, L., Pinna, K., and Whitney, E. 7th Ed. Thomson/Wadsworth Publishers ISBN 0-495-11916-4|
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, a student will demonstrate:
1. The ability to analyze and interpret a variety of printed materials.
2. The ability to analyze and interpret spoken communication.
3. The ability to use critical thinking skills in the evaluation of nutritional information.
4. The ability to use computer-based technology in the acquisition and evaluation of information.
Exemplary Educational Objectives
1. The ability to apply appropriate technology to the study of nutrition.
2. The ability to identify and recognize the differences among competing theories in the field of nutrition.
3. The knowledge of the major issues and problems facing the science of nutrition including issues that touch upon ethics, values, and public policies.
1. The ability to recognize the importance of maintaining health and wellness.
2. The ability to develop a capacity to use the knowledge of how technology and science affect the lives of all.
3. The ability to understand the roles of personal and professional values in ethical behavior.
4. The ability to use logical reasoning in problem solving.
|Major Assignments||Dietary Analysis and Case Studies will be the two major projects for this semester.|
HECO 1322 Principles of Nutrition
January 18 Introduction to class
Chapter 1-Overview of Nutrition and Health
24 Completion of Chapter 1 & Begin 2 - Carbohydrates
31 Chapter 2 - Carbohydrates
February 7 Chapter 3- Lipids
14 Chapter 4-Proteins & Amino Acids
Begin Chapter 5- Digestion and Absorption
Dietary Analysis Due February 17th for TR class
21 Completion of Chapter 5- Digestion and Absorption
Exam I (Chapters 1-4) February 21st for MW class and February 22nd for TR
28 Chapter 6- Metabolism, Energy Balance, and Body Composition
& Nutrition in Practice 6- Eating Disorders
February 28-Last Day to drop with a Q
March 7 Spring Break
March 14 Chapter 7-Weight Management: Overweight & Underweight
Dietary Analysis Due March 16th for MW class
21 Chapter 8-The Vitamins
Exam II (Chapters 5-8, NP 6) March 23rd for MW class and March 24th for TR class
28 Chapter 9- Water and the Minerals
April 4 Chapter 11-13 Nutrition through the Life Span
6 Last Day to Drop or Withdraw for the semester
11 Chapter 14- Illness and Nutrition Care & Chapter 15-Medications, Herbal supplements, and Diet-Drug Interactions
Case Study due April 13th for MW class
18 Chapters 16- Specialized Nutrition Support: Enteral and
Exam III (Chapters 9, 11-13) April 20th for MW class and April 19th for TR class
Holiday – Thursday & Friday, April 21-22
25 Medical Nutrition Therapy - Chapters 17-25 Specialized Diets
Case Study due April 26th for TR class
May 1 Medical Nutrition Therapy - Chapters 17-25 Specialized Diets
9 Review for Final exam
Final Exam will be over material from Chapters 14-25
May 12th for TR class at 11:00 am-1:30 pm
May16th for MW class at 1:00pm-3:30 pm
|Attendance Policy||Contact me if several consecutive absences become necessary.|
|Determination of Final Grade||
Exams 70% Dietary Analysis 10% Research Project 10% Weekly Quizzes 10%
|Final Exam Date||May 16, 2011 - 1:00 PM|
Copyright ©2010 Lamar State College - Port Arthur. All Rights Reserved.