House Bill 2504 Spring 2011 Course Syllabus HECO-1322-75 (Principles Nutrition)
Spring 2011 Course Syllabus
HECO-1322-75 (Principles Nutrition)
|Instructor||Dupuis, Glenda McGill|
|Course ID #||10456|
|Course Title||Principles Nutrition|
|Course Description||A study of the basic principles of nutrition in health and disease.|
|Course Prerequisites||Basic skills competency in reading and math required.|
|Required Textbooks||Nutrition and Diet Therapy, DeBruyne, L., Pinna, K., and Whitney, E. 7th Ed. Thomson/Wadsworth Publishers ISBN 0-495-11916-4|
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, a student will demonstrate:
1. The ability to analyze and interpret a variety of printed materials.
2. The ability to analyze and interpret spoken communication.
3. The ability to use critical thinking skills in the evaluation of nutritional information.
4. The ability to use computer-based technology in the acquisition and evaluation of information.
Exemplary Educational Objectives
1. The ability to apply appropriate technology to the study of nutrition.
2. The ability to identify and recognize the differences among competing theories in the field of nutrition.
3. The knowledge of the major issues and problems facing the science of nutrition including issues that touch upon ethics, values, and public policies.
1. The ability to recognize the importance of maintaining health and wellness.
2. The ability to develop a capacity to use the knowledge of how technology and science affect the lives of all.
3. The ability to understand the roles of personal and professional values in ethical behavior.
4. The ability to use logical reasoning in problem solving.
|Major Assignments||Dietary Analysis and Case Studies will be the two major projects for this semester.|
ONLINE CLASS SCHEDULE
January 18 Class Orientation
Chapters 1 and 2
January 24 Chapters 3 and 4
January 31 Exam I (1-4)
Chapters 5 and 6
Dietary Analysis due February 4th*
February 6 Chapters 7, 8, and 9
February 13 Exam II (5-8)
Chapters 11, 12, 13, 14(we do not study Chap. 10)
Case Study due Feb. 18th*
February 20 Exam III (9, 11, 12, 13, 14)
February 27 Review time for Last Exam.
Exam IV (15 – 28)
Exam will be available beginning at 12:00 am on Monday, February 28th through midnight on March 3rd
|Attendance Policy||Contact me if several consecutive absences become necessary.|
|Determination of Final Grade||
Exams 70% Dietary Analysis 10% Research Project 10% Weekly Quizzes 10%
|Final Exam Date||March 3, 2011 - 12:00 PM|
Copyright ©2010 Lamar State College - Port Arthur. All Rights Reserved.