House Bill 2504 Spring 2011 Course Syllabus MATH-1314-50 (College Algebra)
Spring 2011 Course Syllabus
MATH-1314-50 (College Algebra)
|Instructor||Green, Jo Ellen|
|Course ID #||10145|
|Course Title||College Algebra|
|Course Description||Linear, quadratic equations and inequalities, determinants, matrices, systems of equations, partial fractions, binomial theorem, logarithms, theory of equations. (3 hours credit)|
|Course Prerequisites||MATH 0332 or DMATH 1302, SAT > 500 (math), TASP > 270 (math), or Learning Center recommendation. Each student MUST provide evidence of prerequisite fulfillment by the third day.|
|Required Textbooks||COLLEGE ALGEBRA, Beecher, Penna, & Bittinger, 3rd Edition, Pearson Education, Inc., 2008. ISBN: 0558772455|
A student should be able:
1. To add, subtract, multiply, divide, raise to a power, and find roots of real and complex numbers, polynomials and rational expressions.
2. To write equations of lines given certain conditions and to apply slope, distance, and midpoint formulas.
3. To find roots of linear, quadratic, high-degree polynomials, fractional, radical, and exponential equations.
4. To solve systems of equations in two or three variables by linear combinations, augmented matrix and matrix inverse methods.
5. To use equations in solving word problems involving integer, digit, perimeter, area, mixture, motion, investment, and work concepts.
6. To identify, represent, and graph linear, quadratic, cubic, quartic, exponential, and logarithmic functions and conic sections.
7. To find matrix sums, differences, scalar products, products, and inverses.
8. To use the Binomial Theorem to expand a binomial product, and to find a specific term in a binomial expression.
|Attendance Policy||Research has shown a cause and effect relationship between participation and college success. There will not be any makeup quizzes or makeup tests. A studentís lowest test grade will replace a first missed test. A student will receive a zero for any missed quiz, a second missed test or missing the final exam. The final exam is required.|
|Determination of Final Grade||Tests: 60% Quizzes: 25% Homework: 15%|
|Final Exam Date||May 11, 2011 - 4:00 PM|
Copyright ©2010 Lamar State College - Port Arthur. All Rights Reserved.