House Bill 2504 Spring 2011 Course Syllabus MATH-1332-50 (College Math I)
Spring 2011 Course Syllabus
MATH-1332-50 (College Math I)
|Instructor||Green, Jo Ellen|
|Course ID #||10149|
|Course Title||College Math I|
|Course Description||Sets, the systems of whole numbers, the system of integers, elementary number theory, the system of rationals and the system of real numbers.|
|Course Prerequisites||MATH 0332 or DMATH 1302, SAT > 500 (math), TASP > 230 (math), or Learning Center recommendation. Each student MUST provide evidence of prerequisite fulfillment by the third day.|
|Required Textbooks||REQUIRED TEXTBOOK(S): Thinking Mathematically, Robert F. Blitzer, 5th edition, Addison-Wesley/Prentice Hall Publishing Co., 2008. ISBN: 0558772471 or 0558656706 just for the ML+|
A student should be able to:
1. Apply arithmetic, algebraic, geometric, higher-order thinking, and statistical methods to modeling and solving real world situations.
2. Represent and evaluate basic mathematical information verbally, numerically, graphically, and symbolically.
3. Expand mathematical reasoning skills and formal logic to develop convincing mathematical arguments.
4. Use appropriate technology to enhance mathematical thinking and understanding and to solve mathematical problems and judge the reasonableness of the results.
5. Interpret mathematical models such as formulas, graphs, tables and schematics, and draw inferences from them.
6. Develop the view that mathematics is an evolving discipline, interrelated with human culture, and understand its connections with other disciplines.
|Attendance Policy||ATTENDANCE POLICY: Research has shown a cause and effect relationship between attendance and college success. There will not be any makeup quizzes or makeup tests. A studentís lowest test grade will replace a first missed test. A student will receive a zero for any missed quiz, a second missed test or missing the final exam. The final exam is required.|
|Determination of Final Grade||DETERMINATION OF FINAL GRADE: Tests: 60% Quizzes: 25% Homework: 15%|
|Final Exam Date||May 11, 2011 - 6:30 PM|
Copyright ©2010 Lamar State College - Port Arthur. All Rights Reserved.