House Bill 2504 Spring 2011 Course Syllabus LGLA-1307-01 (Intro Law-Legal Prof)
Spring 2011 Course Syllabus
LGLA-1307-01 (Intro Law-Legal Prof)
|Instructor||Quist, Edward Browning|
|Course ID #||10203|
|Course Title||Intro Law-Legal Prof|
|Course Description||An overview of the law and the legal professions. Topics include legal concepts, systems and terminology; ethical obligations and regulations; professional trends and issues with emphasis on the paralegalÆs role.|
|Required Textbooks||Introduction to Paralegalism, Statsky, latest Ed., West Publishing Co.|
Learning Outcomes: Develop a legal vocabulary; explain fundamental legal concepts and systems; explain the ethical obligations of the legal profession with particular emphasis on the paralegal’s role; and discuss topics relating to the paralegal profession.
At the end of this course, the student should be able to:
1. Define and utilize the vocabulary of the legal system.
2. Write an effective legal resume.
3. Identify the factors that have been instrumental in the emergence of paralegalism to its present state of prominence.
4. Identify the basic factors involved in proper job interviewing techniques.
5. Identify the major duties of a paralegal working in various areas of the law.
6. Identify the boundary lines between tasks completed by paralegals and attorneys.
7. Differentiate between various areas of law practice.
|Major Assignments||Projects (1-4 form-drafting)/Special Assignments|
|Discussion Topics||The paralegal's place in society.|
|Attendance Policy||Research has shown a cause and effect relationship between attendance and college success. A student with the equivalent of 7 absences may be dropped from class.|
|Determination of Final Grade||
ITEM % of Grade
Exams (2-3) 60%
Projects (1-4 form-drafting)/Special Assignments 20%
Final Exam (non cumulative) 15%
|Final Exam Date||May 17, 2011 - 9:00 AM|
Copyright ©2010 Lamar State College - Port Arthur. All Rights Reserved.