Student Book Clubs
Each semester, the College will host Student Book Clubs. Led by a faculty or staff member, the Student Book Clubs will meet three times a semester. At each meeting, the leader will guide the students in a discussion of one popular work of fiction or nonfiction, selected by a sub-committee of the Seahawks SOAR Advisory Committee.
In the spring of 2013 as a trial promotion of the QEP in the Pre-Kickoff semester, Life is So Good, a popular common-book-experience text by George Dawson and Richard Glaubman will be the selected novel. To cap off the event, the College has invited Richard Glaubman to speak to the students in an evening lecture in the Performing Arts Center (April 1, 2013), as well as to work interactively with students in designated classes in the morning.
This process of reading the text and bringing the author or relevant speaker to address primarily the students is the model for subsequent semesters. The College will offer incentives for the students to participate in the student book club activities, including the following:
The Student Book Club Sub-committee consists of the following members:
- Receive for attendance of 1st meeting - Seahawks SOAR wristband; 2nd meeting Student Book Club T-Shirt; 3rd meeting completing Survey Monkey will place your name in a drawing for the Nook; and attending the Guest Speaker's presentation will earn a second entry for the drawing of the Nook.
- A Nook, or other reading device, awarded 1 time per semester
- Gift cards of various denominations to area bookstores
- Opportunities to meet, take a photo with, and get an autograph from the guest speaker
- Opportunities to attend the LSC-PA Distinguished Guest Lecture Series reception, at which the students will be able to get autograph and photo opportunities with the speaker
| Zeb Lowe, English Instructor, Chair
|| Barbara Huval, Liberal Arts Department Chair
| Claire Thomason, Student Activities Director
|| SGA President
| Chad Clark, Librarian
|| SGA Representative
| Caitlin James, Adjunct English Instructor
|| Seahawk Ambassador
| Grace Megnet, Art Instructor
|| Phi Theta Kappa President
Book Club Survey
Book Selections by SOAR Student Book Club Committee
Some documents are in PDF format and require Adobe Acrobat Reader. Visit the PDF instructions page for more information.