The Cosmetology Program prepares students for a career in the cosmetology profession. Recommended courses of study are designed to meet licensure requirements established by the Texas Cosmetology Commission.
Courses of study lead to the following degrees and certificates:
- A.A.S. in Cosmetology (70 semester hours with 1,500 clock hours in classroom and lab)
- A.A.S. in Cosmetology Instructor (63 semester hours with 750 clock hours in classroom and lab)
- Level 1 Certificate in Cosmetology Operator (42 semester hours with 1,500 clock hours in classroom and lab)
- Level 1 Certificate in Manicuring Specialty (16 semester hours with 600 clock hours)
- Level 1 Certificate in Facial Specialty (16 semester hours with 600 clock hours in classroom and lab)
Students who lack a high school diploma or GED must demonstrate necessary skills in reading, writing and math to enroll in any beginning Cosmetology course at Lamar State College-Port Arthur. Designated instruments for demonstrating such skills are the TASP and ASSET Placement exams. Students who fail to meet minimal standards in one or more of these areas must complete appropriate developmental courses such as ENGL 0301, ENGL 0310 or MATH 0312 prior to enrolling in any cosmetology course.
On completion of a degree or certificate program, a student will have successfully completed all required courses, will have accrued 1,500 clock hours in training and will possess knowledge and skills enabling him or her to pass an examination administered by the Texas Cosmetology Commission.
A licensed Cosmetology Instructor in good standing in the State of Texas may be awarded 20 semester credit hours toward an A.A.S. degree in Cosmetology Instructor. See the "Credit By Examination" section of this catalog for more information.
Students who complete Manicuring or Facial Specialty programs will gain the skills and will accumulate sufficient hours of training to be qualified to take and pass applicable examinations administered by the Texas Cosmetology Commission.
For inquiries or additional information complete our Request Additional Information form, call (409) 984-6422, or visit our offices in the