Gates Memorial Library
Performing Arts Databases
Library | Catalog | Databases by Subject Area
AcademicIndex.net - Academic Index.net is a scholarly academic search engine accessing only websites previously selected by librarians, teachers, and library and educational consortia. Includes a link to EasyBib to cite your reference sources and create a bibliography of works cited.
Academic Search Complete TUTORIAL - A comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary database that offers indexing and abstracts for 13,189 journals and a total of 845 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. Featuring full text for 7,735 academic journals, 970 magazines, and 164 trade publications, this scholarly collection offers unmatched coverage of information spanning a broad range of important areas of academic study including: anthropology, astronomy, biology, chemistry, civil engineering, engineering, ethnic & multicultural studies, geology, law, materials science, mathematics, music, pharmaceutical sciences, physics, psychology, religion & theology, veterinary science, women's studies, zoology, and many other fields.
Humanities Full Text (H.W. Wilson) - Includes many of the most important academic journals in the humanities with the full text of articles from over 300 periodicals dating back to 1995, and high-quality indexing for almost 700 journals - of which 470 are peer-reviewed - dating as far back as 1984.
MAS Ultra - Provides full text articles for 480 popular general interest and current events publications with information dating as far back as 1975 for key magazines. This database also contains 372 full text reference books (including the Columbia Encyclopedia and the CIA World Fact Book), 85,670 biographies, 202 country fact sheets, 204 country reports, 5 databases, 11 educational reports, 128 essays, 4 law books, 3 newspapers, 77 pamphlets, 139 speeches, 2 state fact sheets, and an Image Collection of over 592,000 photos, maps, flags, and color PDFs.
MAS Ultra also includes 5 databases: American Heritage Dictionary; American Reference Library: Biographies; American Reference Library: Primary Source Documents; Britannica Biographies; and Hutchinson’s Biography Database.
Under the law category all Supreme Court Cases from 1790-present.
Musicians and Composers of the 20th Century and Great Lives from History: The Renaissance on Salem History - The five volumes of Musicians and Composers of the 20th Century examine individuals from all over the world who gained significance as composers, performers, instrumentalists, vocalists, and teachers. These are the people who have shaped the history of a number of musical genres, including blues, classical, country, gospel, jazz, Latin, musical theater, opera, punk, rap, reggae, rock, and many more.
Professional Development Collection TUTORIAL - Provides a highly specialized collection of 744 high quality education journals, of which 508 are full-text, including 536 peer-reviewed titles. Also contains 229 educational reports and 1 database (American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition).
Alexander Street Press Databases
American Song is the largest and most comprehensive streaming audio collection of American roots music and pre-1960 American popular music, providing streaming access to over 120,000 tracks.
- Definitive collection of genres including country, folk, bluegrass, Western, old time, American Indian, blues, jazz, gospel, spirituals, and shape note singing.
- Over 400 distinct genres and sub-genres enable users to explore a wide variety of musical styles and interpretations of songs.
- Brings an entirely new dimension to studies in history, music, literature, diversity, sociology, and related disciplines.
- Data on 10,000s of artists and ensembles.
Classical Music Library is an award-winning, comprehensive streaming audio collection of classical music. It currently provides streaming access to more than 252,000 tracks, including almost 50,000 recordings from EMI, and is growing monthly as new recordings are added.
- All major genres and time periods from medieval to contemporary, from choral works to symphonies, operas and the avant-garde.
- More than 25,000 unique classical works that can be browsed by composer and the results sorted by title, date of composition, and genre. Unique access points to drive discovery for users.
- More than 400 distinct instrument categories.
- More than 150 distinct classical genres and sub-genres.
- Data on more than 10,000 individual composers and 100,000s of artists and ensembles.
Contemporary World Music features music from 169 countries and more than 800 labels
from around the world.
- Focus on contemporary genres, such as reggae, worldbeat, neo-traditional, world fusion, Balkanic jazz, African film, Bollywood, Arab swing, and jazz.
- Also traditional music - Indian classical, fado, flamenco, klezmer, zydeco, gospel, gagaku, and more.
- Many titles are encyclopedic in their breadth of coverage. For example, The Voice of the People from the Topic label, a 20-volume series of English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh traditional music, is included in its entirety.
Jazz Music Library is the largest and most comprehensive streaming audio collection of jazz music, featuring thousands of jazz performers from legendary record labels. It currently provides streaming access to more than 130,000 tracks, with new recordings added monthly.
- Definitive audio database of jazz from the early ‘20s to today, including all major jazz genres including vocal jazz, bebop, acid jazz, big band music, modern jazz, and more.
- More than 14,000 distinct song titles along with links to all the various versions recorded in Jazz Music Library.
- Hundreds of distinct instrument categories.
- More than 200 distinct jazz genres and sub-genres.
- Data on tens of thousands of artists and ensembles.
Smithsonian Global Sound for Libraries is the largest and most comprehensive streaming audio collection of world music. It currently provides streaming access to over 42,000 tracks from the Smithsonian archives and world music archives in Asia and Africa, and is growing regularly as new recordings are added.
- Music from 169 countries from around the world
- Over 1,000 distinct genres and sub-genres available
- Over 1,400 cultural groups represented
- Over 450 languages represented
- Data on 100,000s of artists and ensembles
African American Music Reference provides comprehensive coverage of black American musical expression from colonial times to the present, including blues, jazz, spirituals, civil rights songs, slave songs, minstrelsy, rhythm and blues, gospel, and other forms.
- Advanced search: Articles are indexed for instrument, person, genre, ensemble, organization, place, language, cultural group, and other general topics.
- Liner notes: Collection includes detailed liner notes for the entire output of Document Records, along with individually indexed images.
- Custom playlists: Users can create, annotate, and share playlists, and access a library of playlists created by other users, including themed playlists created by our editor.
- Cross-search: Reference works can be cross-searched alongside our related audio, video, scores and reference material to provide a powerful tool for music research.
Classical Music Reference Library is a comprehensive classical music reference database comprising over 47,000 pages of text. It is designed as a powerful addition to Classical Music Library, Classical Music in Video and Classical Scores Libraries.
- Liner Notes: Includes text searchable liner notes for key labels from Classical Music Library including Haenssler Classic, Forlane, CRD, and Hyperion Records.
- Custom Playlists: Allows users to create, annotate, and share playlists, or access a library of playlists created by other users, including themed playlists created by our editor.
- Permanent URLs: All reference works and playlists can be cited on permanent URLs.
- Cross-search: Reference works can be cross-searched alongside our related audio, video, scores, and reference material to provide a powerful tool for music research.
Classical Scores Library Volumes I and II contains 400,000 pages (24,388 scores) of from both in-copyright and public domain editions. Classical Scores Library, Volume II will contain an additional 200,000 pages and over 10,000 in-copyright editions when complete. The first volume includes works spanning time periods from the Renaissance to the 21st century. Coverage of score types is comprehensive, with full scores, study scores, piano and vocal scores, and piano reductions. Classical Scores Library, Volume II complements and expands on Classical Scores Library with a new focus on major composers not represented in the first collection; new contemporary self-published scores by major living composers around the world; and critical editions of compositions that are lesser known but often studied.
The Garland Encyclopedia of World Music Online is the first comprehensive online resource devoted to music research of all the world’s peoples. More than 9,000 pages of material and 300 audio recordings, combined with entries by more than 700 expert contributors from all over the world, make this the most complete body of work focused on world music.
- The full-text of the ten-volume print encyclopedia (more than 700 articles) searchable all together for the first time.
- Associated audio examples.
- Musical illustrations, photographs, and drawings.
- Song texts and score examples.
- Charts and maps of world regions.
Classical Music in Video will contain 1,000 hours of classical music performances and master classes captured on video - approximately 1,500 performances in all. The collection will contain performances of all forms of classical music, including major orchestral performances by leading orchestras, plus chamber music, oratorio, and solo performances, along with master classes and interviews with master teachers from around the world.
Dance in Video will contain five hundred hours of dance productions and documentaries by the most influential performers and companies of the 20th century. Selections cover ballet, tap, jazz, contemporary, experimental, and improvisational dance, as well as forerunners of the forms and the pioneers of modern concert dance. This release includes 768 works, equaling 501 hours. You can also access Dance in Video through the Music Online interface. Stream video to your mobile device! All video can now be viewed on iPhone & Android smartphones operating on 3G network or better.
Opera in Video contains five hundred hours of the most important opera performances, captured on video through staged productions, interviews, and documentaries. Selections represent the world’s best performers, conductors, and opera houses and are based on a work’s importance to the operatic canon. This release includes 290 works, equaling 500 hours. You can also access Opera in Video through the Music Online interface. Stream video to your mobile device! All video is now supported for iPhone operating on 3G network or better and Android. Click on the mobile phone icon next to each video in the database to stream directly to your mobile device.
Other Library Catalogs
If you need further assistance, please ask a librarian, in person or online Ask a Librarian
Our purpose is : To provide essential library resources and services - collections, instruction, access, facilities and personnel - to our students, faculty and staff in support of the educational programs.
Lamar State College, Library Services, 317 Stilwell Blvd., Port Arthur, TX 409-984-6220 [8-2013]