ALERT: Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Transfer Dispute Resolution Form

  • The institution whose credit has been denied (sending institution), or the student working through the sending institution, must initiate the dispute. From the date a student is notified of credit denial (date evaluation is sent by the receiving institution), the law allows a maximum of 45 calendar days for the resolution of the dispute by the sending and receiving institutions.
  • In all disputes, Coordinating Board form, CB-TDR, "Transfer Dispute Resolution," must be completed to initiate dispute action. The form will provide notification and documentation of resolution of the dispute or initiate action of the part of the commissioner to resolve the dispute.
  • The "Transfer Dispute Resolution" form must be completed and forwarded to the receiving institution within 15 calendar days after the evaluation has been submitted to the student.
  • Forms will be available in the Vice President of Academic Affairs or designee's office. The student and the VPAA of the sending institution will complete appropriate sections of the form, retain copies of the form, and forward it to the VPAA of the receiving institution.
  • The VPAA or designee of the receiving institution will either resolve the dispute and complete the "dispute resolved" section of the "Transfer Dispute Resolution" or not resolve the dispute and complete other sections of the form.In either case, the receiving institution will forward copies of the form to the student, the sending institution, and to the Commissioner of Higher Education.
  • Failure by the receiving institution to notify the Commissioner in writing, as specified above, within 5 working days after the 45 calendar-day requirement will allow the student or sending institution to send written notification to the commissioner and may result in "automatic" acceptance of the credit by the institution which originally denied the credit.
  • When it is required that the Commissioner or his/her designee resolve the dispute, the resolution will be so designated on the form and copies sent to all parties. Both institutions will maintain form files and the Coordinating Board will maintain a file of all resolutions by institutions. "Disputes" vs. "Problems" Problems that occur during the transfer process will not always be categorized as disputes, and will not follow dispute procedures and guidelines. Problems are clearly within the jurisdiction of the receiving institution. Problems may include, but are not limited to these situations:
    • A student may lose credit hours or have to take additional, lower-level credit hours when he or she changes majors.
    • Students may not decide which upper-level/senior institution they will attend to complete their degree until after they have completed significant lower-level coursework. Courses taken may not apply or transfer to the institution selected.
    • A student may take more than 66 lower-level credit hours.
    • A student may have received unsatisfactory grades in lower-level courses.
    • The student may take vocational, technical, developmental or remedial courses that are not defined as general academic courses.
    • Compliance with external accrediting agencies, newly enacted legislation, and changes in Texas Education Agency or Coordinating Board regulations may invalidate courses students have already completed.
    • Students may take more credit hours in a course category than will transfer. Examples include activity hours in physical education, choir, band, etc.
    • Institutions may not accept work that is considered too old.
    • The student may repeat courses to raise grade point averages. Duplicate credit would not be accepted.